American Government (8th edition) by Gitelson, Dudley and Dubnick
    Purchase at: Amazon;

  • Randi Art
  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from randubnick. Make your own badge here.
  • Draw Breath (Friends CiarĂ¡n and Isabel)
  • Sociable Geek (Friend Stephen)
  • Meditations71 (Friend Stefan)
  • Slugger O'Toole
  • Ideal Government Project
  • Thur's Templates

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Mum...and mummer

Friend Stephen blogged the other day about interesting things that "mums" say -- and I was reminded of my favorite anecdote from my own "mum".

When I was about age 15 or so (around 1962), my father decided to take a job in Pueblo, Colorado. While the rest of us stayed back east, my father went out to see if he would like the position -- and after a short time he was hooked on the west and came back to retrieve the family for the move. At some point I recall a discussion where my mother raised the key question: Which side of California is Colorado on?

I have since learned -- as do we all -- that our parents are not as ignorant as we might have thought when we were teens. At 84 and having travelled many places since, my mother can give me a geography lesson or two (she is now saying she wants to take a cruise to Alaska for her 85th birthday...).

But the memory of that question remains quite clear -- and I can only attribute it her status as a born and raised child of New York -- the New Yorker cartoonist Saul Steinberg had it right!


Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on "Mum...and mummer"

 

post a comment