American Government (8th edition) by Gitelson, Dudley and Dubnick
    Purchase at: Amazon;

  • Randi Art
  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from randubnick. Make your own badge here.
  • Draw Breath (Friends CiarĂ¡n and Isabel)
  • Sociable Geek (Friend Stephen)
  • Meditations71 (Friend Stefan)
  • Slugger O'Toole
  • Ideal Government Project
  • Thur's Templates

Thursday, September 15, 2005

View from the Belfast-Stranraer ferry....

It has been awhile since I posted one of Randi's images, and the reason was mainly technical in part (I had problem uploading and little time to deal with the issue). But it looks like I am back on track, and I chose to post this wonderful shot she took on the ferry from Belfast to Stranraer last year.

The occasion was a trip to Scotland that was timed to get out of Belfast during the height of the Orange Order marching season in that city -- usually the second week in July. This year, however, the tensions and problems surrounding the OO's marching fetish extended to last weekend, and Belfast went through a terrible time unlike any I witnessed during my two years there. I am scheduled to visit next month, and I know that things will be back to normal by then. But it is really quite sad to see these pointless eruptions of violence and the damage they are causing -- not merely physical, but to the outlook for the future as Northern Ireland's "Troubled" reputation reemerges in the world media...

Picture from RandiArt




Comments on "View from the Belfast-Stranraer ferry...."

 

post a comment